Another “New Year” just about to start, offering us fresh opportunities to put together another great maintenance management show…….Wow.
So, what did we achieve in this year, may be great, may be just about average, or even lesser………
Reminds me of the romantic lyrics of an old “Carpenters” song titled “Only Yesterday” – “Only yesterday when I was sad………….you showed me the way to leave the past……………tomorrow may be even brighter than today”
The best way to convert the new challenges to great opportunities is to meet them head on. We have tightened our belts and lived long enough in the current financial melt down, maintenance budget cuts, energy use optimisation pressures, lack of all types of resources and bleak forecasts about the future. So, what do we do?
- Regular, detailed planning of all activities will always be fruitful in effective and efficient job execution. A few minutes spent in forward planning can save hours of chaotic and stressed operations.
- Always have a Plan B, just in case Plan A doesn’t work out as expected.
- Try and improve on the Plan A compliance percentage.
- Use all possible tools to improve your planning ability.
- Build a team that will stand by you in bad times as well as good times. (A little difficult, but definitely possible)
- Train your team regularly to improve their effectiveness and efficiency.
- Be an exemplary leader
Most of the suggestions given above will not cost you much in terms of money, but can reap wonderful benefits.